RAILWAY SECURITY or RAILWAY PROTECTION FORCE
RPF is a statutory Force constituted under the Railway Protection Force Act, 1957. It is an Armed Force of the Indian Union.
IMPORTANT FUNCTIONS OF RAILWAY PROTECTION FORCE ARE:
- Protect and safeguard Railway Passengers, Passenger area and Railway property.
- Ensure the safety, security and boost the confidence of the traveling public on the Indian Railways.
- Carry on an unrelenting fight against criminals in protecting Railway Passengers, Passenger area and Railway property.
- Facilitate passenger-travel and security by removing all anti-social elements from trains, railway premises and passenger area.
- Remain vigilant to prevent trafficking in women and children and take appropriate action to rehabilitate destitute children found in Railway area.
- Co-operate with other departments of the Railways in improving the efficiency and image of the Indian Railways.
- Act as a bridge between the Government Railway Police/Local Police and the Railway Administration.
- Adopt pro-actively all modern technology, best human rights practices, management techniques and special measures for protection of female and elderly passengers and children, in the pursuit of these objectives.